The team of the LIFE Project GoProFor (GOod Practices implementation netwOrk for FORest biodiversity conservation) is promoting the European workshop on training system for forest management in Natura 2000 network, which will be organized on November 12th at the University of Palermo. The aim of the workshop is to define a roadmap for the development of a new project that intends to replicate and broaden the GoProFor approach in European context.
The objectives of the new project are to:
- Increase knowledge and skills of sites managers, regarding the governance and planning aspects of the Natura 2000 Network (methods for implementation of the Habitats Directive with particular regard to articles 6, 11 and 17);
- Increase knowledge of innovative approaches, techniques and practices of forest management aimed at the conservation of ecosystem in the Natura 2000 Network in Europe;
- Promote a permanent network action among subjects involved in the Natura 2000 (direct beneficiaries of EU projects, indirect beneficiaries, institutions, the academia, technicians, ...), in order to increase and share management and conservation experiences within the forest areas;
- Promote a permanent and easy access training system;
- Strengthen the forest management capacity within the Natura 2000 network adapted to the context of at least 8 European countries, through specific training and information activities at national level.
This initiative is carried out in collaboration with DG Environment, EASME and Natura 2000 Platform.
The workshop will be attended by public institutions, private bodies, associations, etc., selected to represent the largest number of European countries. Moreover, it is welcome the participation of individuals involved in the management of the Natura 2000 Network at a national level, from a technical-scientific or administrative point of view and who may be interested in participating in the discussion of the project.
During the workshop the participants will be invited to illustrate the national contexts of forest management in relation to the Natura 2000 Network and any initiatives carried out or ongoing in the context of training, network design, and sharing of good practices. Through this exchange of experiences, we will outline the framework of the training needs in the Natura 2000 network, both at European and national level.
The organizers will illustrate the main actions of the project proposal, which will be discussed together with the participants.
Download the program >>>
At the end of the day a road map for the presentation of the new project will be defined and the participants will be asked to give their interest to be part of the work team.
The workshop is located at the Department of Agricultural Food and Forestry Sciences (DSAAF) - University of Palermo. Aula Cullotta (ex-aula B), Building 4, Entrance F (1° floor) - V.le delle Scienze, I-90133 Palermo.
How to get there
The airport of Palermo, "Falcone Borsellino", is about 35 km from the city center. The following services can be used to reach the venue:
- Metropolitan railway service managed by Trenitalia, Line “Punta Raisi-Palermo Centrale”: the conference venue is 50 meters from “Palazzo Reale-Orleans” station, exit side Via E. Basile, continue on the right to the gate of Viale delle Scienze, the first building on the right;
- Bus service: info at http://www.prestiaecomande.it;
- Taxi service: info at http://www.6878.it; http://www.autoradiotaxi.it